9/18/2012

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Everybody knows Rob Lowe - the 80's icon, heartthrob, and one of the founding members of the Brat Pack. Granted when he was in his hay day, I was walking around in diapers, but even I am not immune to the fact that he is a good looking man. When I saw him on Oprah talking about his new book, I was intrigued. I love reading about the lives of people and knew Rob had a colorful past full of celebrity scandal, so I decided to pick the book up. It has been sitting in my Kindle queue for months and I hoped it would offer me a much needed break from the world of YA Fiction.

Rob does not disappoint. I found the book to be a fun, easy read. I didn't find Rob's narrative to be whining and self-pitying, like so many celebrity autobiographies. He tells his life story matter-of-factly and shares what he has learned from his experiences. It was interesting to read about his early career and his interactions with other young and famous stars. His recounting of the making of The Outsiders was particularly interesting. I found him to be rather humble, honest, and intelligent in his writing. If you are a fan of Rob Lowe, you will enjoy definitely enjoy this book. If you are unfamiliar with Rob, but enjoy autobiographies/memoirs, I think that you can still get something out of this book. It was a 3 star read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment