4/07/2014

Deceiving Lies (Forgiving Lies #2) by Molly McAdams

Deceiving Lies is the sequel to Forgiving Lies by Molly McAdams. 

Rachel and Kash thought everything was behind them. They are in the process of planning their wedding, and the future ahead of them looks bright, until Kash’s life as an undercover narcotics agent comes back to steal their happiness. Kidnapped from her home, Rachel now finds herself in the hands of a gang seeking revenge against Kash and is partner, Mace. Kash has only one focus: find Rachel and bring her home, no matter what he has to do, or what rules he has to break.

Trent Cruz’s orders were clear: take Rachel. But after spending months watching her, he can’t help the feelings that Rachel inspires in him. He feels trapped in a life that he never wanted and is determined to protect Rachel, even at the risk of angering his fellow gang members. As time goes on, Rachel begins to see Trent less and less like her captor, and more and more like a true friend and protector. Living in close quarters and facing a life and death situation, leaves Rachel somewhat confused over her feelings. She wants desperately to get back to Kash, but she can’t help caring about Trent.

Can Rachel and Kash find their way back to each other? If they do, will things ever be the same? Or did Trent steal more than just their happily ever after?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Molly McAdams is the queen of the torturous love triangle, and while I LOVE her books, I also know that when I pick one up I am asking to be emotionally destroyed. While this series is full of angst and still emotional, it is different from other novels of hers that I have read. While Deceiving Lies does contain a love triangle, it is a largely unreciprocated love triangle, that didn't leave me me angry (as most love triangles do). Instead, the love triangle made me feel more compassion towards Trent. He turned out to be an alright guy in the end. While he did love Rachel and did physically steal her, I think he knew that her heart would always belong to Kash and was simply content to spend what time he could with her and love her. 

Rachel is an amazing heroine. I’m not sure many women could survive what she has endured and still be able to function as a normal human being. I love her relationship with Kash and her spitfire attitude. I still think she and I could be great friends. Kash is still swoon worthy. He is all alpha and everything that makes a good book boyfriend. I also enjoyed seeing his more vulnerable side and watching him walk the line between what is right and what is a step too far. While still emotional, this book was less emotionally destructive for me than other McAdams novels. However, I should note that Taking Chances was the first Molly McAdams book that I ever read and serves as my point of reference when comparing her other novels. For those of you who have read Taking Chances, you understand that this might not be a fair comparison, as that book is really in a league all its own. It’s all I got, so I’m going with it. 

Overall, I was quite pleased with how this sequel played out. Everyone ended up where they should. Like Forgiving Lies, Deceiving Lies was plenty of action, lots of angst, and plenty of drool worthy men. I know that Mace is due to have his own book, and that is set up quite nicely at the end of this one. I hope that Molly is taking it in the direction that I would like to see it go - namely that Candice and Mace end up together, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I also hope that Molly will give Trent his own book in the future too. He has already joined by book boyfriend list, and I would love to know what happens to him next and see him find his own happy ending. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment