2/14/2017

Review: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I always have a mixed reaction to Amy Schumer. While I find her funny most of the time, sometimes she crosses over into the bit too crass for me. I did not find this book to be crass at all, in fact, I was surprised by how truly funny, insightful, honest, and vulnerable it was, not because I don't think Schumer is all of those things, but because it wasn't what I was expecting.

Mixed in with funny stories about her childhood and how she got started in comedy, which is what I was expecting to read, are some truly candid stories about her experiences with her father's illness and abusive relationships, which I wasn't necessarily expecting as I did not know much about Schumer's back story before this book. The result of this mix is an honest, humorous, and humanizing narrative (how's that for alliteration!) that is real but doesn't take itself too seriously.

Schumer does an excellent job narrating the book and I recommend the audiobook highly. It almost felt more like participating in a conversation rather than listening to someone tell their life story. If you're a fan of Schumer's or enjoy autobiographies by celebrities I would give this one a go.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment