12/03/2017

Review: Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I loved Jesmyn Ward's nonfiction narrative, The Men We Reaped. It was beautifully written and full of deep emotion. While this novel is also beautifully written - Ward's writing style is rather lyrical, even poetic - and certainly had emotion, I was less drawn in by this one.

It tells the story of a poor, African American family over the course of twelve days, ending with the arrival of Hurrican Katrina. For me, the most engaging part of the story was the last few chapters as the family was gearing up for the arrival of Katrina and then when the storm finally hit. I wish there had been more to this and less of the preceding events. I also found the end to be unsatisfying. I wanted to know more about what happened to the family after the storm than Ward gave me. Still, I think this is a novel worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment