3/18/2018

Review: Vulgar Favours: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Vulgar Favours: The Assassination of Gianni Versace Vulgar Favours: The Assassination of Gianni Versace by Maureen Orth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm a sucker for a good crime drama and if it's a true story, then I'm even more intrigued, which probably makes me sound crazy, right? I just find people like Andrew Cunanan fascinating. How is it that someone who is intelligent and charismatic can also be so evil? Why do some people choose to act on their baser instincts and seemingly feel no remorse? Are people like Andrew Cunanan born or created? It's endlessly fascinating how the human mind works. I, of course, have been watching the mini-series based on the book and wanted to read the inspiration behind it.

The title of this book is a little misleading. The book really isn't about the assassination of Gianni Versace, although this is the murder that eventually leads to Andrew's demise. It's really about Andrew's life and all of the events leading up to his decision to kill one of the world's most famous designers. It was clearly written at a different time in history, as many of the views expressed and references made to gay culture and homosexuality are outdated. However, it does reflect the time in which these murders happened.

Overall, I found the book to be interesting and sensational. It was written to keep the reader's attention, like a crime drama, rather than a documentary laying out just the facts. I am amazed that Andrew was able to evade the police and FBI for as long as he did and it is clear that he was a very dynamic and multifaceted person. It was an interesting read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment