12/26/2012

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Min is breaking up with Ed, her high school boyfriend. Their relationship seems doomed from the start. Ed Slaterton is the star basketball player. He is popular and has a certain reputation with the ladies. Min is a movie buff and doesn't fit in with the popular crowd. She is not the type of girl that Ed normally goes for. Despite all the obstacles, Min and Ed fall in love, but then Ed ruins it. Now Min is writing Ed a letter to explain why they are breaking up and returning all of the mementos she has collected from their time together.

I came across this book listed on a list of 15 books to read before they become a movie. I was intrigued by the story line and I needed a break from reading my endless stream of series books, so I picked it up. It was okay and I find myself somewhat indifferent to it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The story is told from Min's point of view and is mostly a stream of consciousness as she writes a letter to Ed explaining their break up. At times the run-on sentences and jumpiness of the story got on my nerves. The story was creative and the illustrations added a new dimension to the story. I liked the idea that simple objects could spawn memories and represented events in the relationship. It was an interesting approach to the story and in my opinion saved the story from being just another typical teen romance/break up story.

It wasn't a bad book and it has the potential to be a decent film, should it ever be turned into one. Solid 3 stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment