3/23/2014

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Sydney's twenty-second birthday is not going how she envisioned. Finding herself homeless after discovering her boyfriend of two years and her best friend/roommate have been cheating behind her back, and unemployed, Sydney now faces a decision: turn to her less than supportive parents for help, or accept the offer of help from her extremely attractive neighbor, Ridge.

Ridge is facing a dilemma of his own...writer's block. For months he has been unable to pen any song lyrics. When he sees Sydney, from his balcony, singing along to the melodies from his guitar, he can't help but be intrigued. When Ridge discovers Sydney's boyfriend's infidelity, he finds himself compelled to tell her, even if he doesn't want to be the one who has to do so. Determined to keep his new found muse, Ridge offers Sydney the spare bedroom in his apartment.

As time passes, Ridge and Sydney's musical collaboration brings them closer and closer. They find themselves communicating their feelings through the lyrics they write together. But Ridge is not free, and he finds himself torn between the girlfriend he can never leave and the feelings he has developed for Sydney. Their situation leaves them with nothing but heartbreak and the dream of maybe someday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colleen Hoover is a literary genius. I swear she could write a phone book, and I would buy it and love every page of it. I have loved every book of hers that I have read, from the Slammed series to the Hopeless series. However, her books should come with a warning label stamped on the front - Warning: You will be emotionally wrecked by the end of this novel. Maybe Someday was no exception.

She had me hook, line, and sinker from the very first page. Colleen has the amazing ability to create these characters and relationships that you instantly want to root for. I felt every moment of joy, pain, and heartbreak right along with Ridge and Sydney. I found myself reduced to a crying mess as the hopelessness of their love story washed over me again and again, and I found myself profoundly grateful that I was reading this book in the privacy of my own home. Had I been in public, people would have probably wondered about my mental stability. And the ending? I won't talk about it because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it brought on a whole new wave of tears.

Maybe Someday offers readers a truly unique reading experience with the addition of a soundtrack. Because music was such an important element to this story, I was intrigued when I heard that Colleen was collaborating with Griffen Peterson to record the songs featured in the novel. I had heard a few of the songs prior to reading the book, and while I liked them, it wasn't until I heard them in conjunction with the story that I fell in love with them. The songs added so much to my reading experience because I didn't have to imagine what the songs would have sounded like. While I have always had a vivid imagination and consider myself somewhat musical, I am by no means a song writer or a musician. Having the songs took the pressure off me to create them in my mind and allowed me to simply enjoy them for what they were - an honest form of communication between Sydney and Ridge.

I always know when I find a book deserving of 5 stars when two things happen: First, I feel compelled to hug the book to my chest after reading the last page, and second, I instantly want to turn back to page one and start reading it again. Both of these occurred after I finished Maybe Someday. Ridge has joined the ranks of my favorite book boyfriends, right along with Will, Holder, and Daniel. In the few days since I have finished the novel, I still find myself humming the songs and pulling it back off my self to reread some of my favorite parts. I'm sure my future holds many rereads of this book. Colleen Hoover delivers another unforgettable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment