11/27/2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think I would love J.K. Rowling's grocery lists. I swear the woman can do no wrong in my eyes. While I think I like the novel format better than the script format, I still enjoyed reading this story. Like so many other HP fans, I loathed saying goodbye to Harry and the gang at the end of the series and always wanted to know more about Harry's life.

I loved the direction that the authors took with this story. Harry's life isn't a fairytale and I love that he is facing real life struggles - balancing work and family, parenting, and work stresses. It's so normal and for a boy who always wanted to be normal, I found it fitting. Yes, it hurt my heart to see Harry struggle to get along with his son, Albus. And yes, I felt bad for Albus and his struggle to live in the shadow of Harry's legacy, but in the end, I felt that it all worked out for the best.

There were so many "360" (and some "180") moments in this novel. I liked the reversals - Albus ending up in Slytherin, being best friends with Scorpius Malfoy - and the playing with time that allowed old friends (and enemies) to visit. I found the story to be as magical and well crafted as all the others in the series. There were plenty of twists and surprises, but the heart of what makes the Harry Potter stories so endearing is there in spades. It's a beautiful edition to one of my favorite series of all time.

Rumor has it that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is coming to the U.S. in 2018. I'm praying that it's true. Time to start saving!

2016 Reading Challenge: A book you can finish in a day

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment