1/13/2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Seventeen-year-old Sky has led a sheltered life - home schooled, no TV, no cellphone, no internet. Her best friend, Six, lives across the street and has a horrible reputation. A reputation that has given Sky a reputation simply through association, and not based entirely in fact. Now Sky is getting ready to attend public school for senior year, just as Six is heading off to Europe via an exchange program. High school turns out to be just as horrible as Sky predicts and she is forced to endure her classmates rather unimaginative slurs and attempts to bring her down. Her only solace is Breckin, a fellow outcast.

Sky's life takes a most unexpected turn after a simple trip to the grocery store where she meets Dean Holder, a boy with a reputation worse than hers. She finds herself drawn to him and feeling things that no one else has ever made her feel. Sky knows that Holder is no good and that she should stay away from him, but he seems determined to know everything about her. He feels dangerous to Sky and his mood swings leave her reeling. What she doesn't know is that Holder is tied to a past that she never realized she had, and being with Holder drags her back into it. Meeting Holder changes every single facet of Sky's life and she is left questioning who she is, where she comes from, and what the future holds for her.

This book was heart-achingly good and Dean Holder is my new literary hero. Readers be warned - this book deals with some heavy stuff, including sexual abuse. The twists in this story are amazing and Colleen Hoover weaved this story together beautifully. It was in no way predictable for me. Usually I can figure out where stories like this are headed fairly quickly, but with Hopeless I often found myself not realizing a twist until it was just about to happen. Sky and Holder are beautifully flawed and their love story made my heart swell over and over while my eyes fill with tears. They are two damaged souls who save each other. This is a solid 5 star read for me, a rating that I do not dish out often. I know that this book will become a re-read (several times over) for me. Fantastic book!

Update 1/19/13:

Just when I thought I couldn't be any more in love with Holder I come across this bonus scene told from his point of view. Check it out here. God I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment