4/25/2013

Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight #1) by Jamie Canosa

Emerson, a.k.a. "Em," knows the only way to escape the hell she has been living in is to run - run and never look back. She has nowhere to go and no one to turn to, but a life on the streets is better than the nightmare she is leaving behind.

Jay has been living on the streets for two years after escaping his own personal hell. When his path crosses Em's, he cannot help the intense desire to protect her. As Jay and Em get to know each other and learn about the demons they are running from, their connection grows and they find in each other the love they have always been denied. However when Em's past catches up with her, she makes a decision to protect Jay, even though it means she could lose him forever.

I loved the characters in this book and my heart broke for them. Jay is a knight in shining armor who protects and takes care of Em so selflessly. Em is beyond brave for even being able to get up every morning after experiencing everything she went through, and my heart broke every time she couldn't see just how brave she was. I liked how the book changed back and forth between Em and Jay's perspectives, as it allowed insight into the heads of both characters. The fact that either of them was able to feel love after the traumas they faced is amazing, but what was truly beautiful was the way they loved each other - unconditionally, with complete acceptance and a willingness to sacrifice for each other.

While Fight or Flight could be a stand alone novel, I would actually really love a sequel (I know! I can't believe I'm saying it!). According to Goodreads, it appears that I might get my wish...there appears to be another book or novella entitled Sink or Swim scheduled to be published sometime in 2013. There is no cover or description posted, but I really do hope there is more coming. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Em and Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment