5/05/2013

Never Have I Ever by August Clearwing

Piper Minogue, astrophysicist in-training, is an introvert focused on completing her Master's degree at Caltech. The perception of her prudish nature is challenged when she reveals a secret fantasy while playing the drinking game, Never Have I Ever. Her confession intrigues Noah Wellington. Noah and Piper are drawn to each other and the connection they feel is strong. The two of them collect a list of "Nevers" and set out to indulge their fantasies and wishes. Noah and Piper's relationship is not without problems as both are haunted by the dark events of their past. Noah's brother, Ethan, also seems determined to drive Piper away. When the demons from the past catch up with Noah and Piper, they threaten to destroy everything they hold dear, including each other.

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It contains STRONG BDSM themes, including rape scenes. It is fairly graphic and at times I had a hard time reading the scenes. Usually when I pick up these books, they are usually romance novels with some kink thrown in. The romance is at the center of the book. I feel like this book was the opposite. It was written as eroctica with a plot thrown in. The characters and plot seemed secondary to the scenes and as such I had a hard time connecting with the characters. The plot got more and more outlandish and ridiculous. I might have been able to deal with that had I been able to connect better with the characters. The potential was there in Noah and Piper's relationship. Had their relationship been the true focus of the book and if their relationship evolved more, I might have been able to overlook some of the books other flaws. If you are looking for an eroctica novel then this one is for you. If you're looking for something along the lines of a 50 Shades where the tortured soul is redeemed by love, while having an interesting sex life, then this one may leave you wanting... 

No comments:

Post a Comment