5/22/2013

Stealing Harper (Taking Chances #2) by Molly McAdams

Stealing Harper is the companion novel (novella really) to Taking Chances (review here...fair warning, it does contain spoilers), which is a heart wrenchingly good contempory romance novel. I found myself absolutely emotionally destroyed after reading Taking Chances, so much so that I couldn't pick up another book for a few days.

In Taking Chances we meet Harper as she arrives at San Diego State University determined to start a new life for herself. Harper quickly finds herself falling for two guys and smack in the middle of a love triangle. Brandon is tattooed, ridiculously muscled and handsome, a fighter in the Underground, and incredibly sweet and gentle with Harper. Chase is a hot, tattooed artist with a reputation for going through girls like socks. Even though she knows he's wrong for her, Chase gets under her skin like no one else can and is determined to become a better man in order to be worthy of Harper. Harper finds herself torn - she knows she loves Brandon and wants to spend the rest of her life with him, but she just can't seem to forget about Chase. One weekend of passion will have far reaching consequences for both Harper and the men she loves.

Stealing Harper allows us to reexperience the story from Chase's point of view. It doesn't really add anything new to the overall story, but if you were a fan of Chase before then you will "enjoy" this one. I say "enjoy" because as much as I would like it, Chase's fate remains the same and it is still emotionally devastating (even if I already knew what I was in for). If anything, this book made me love Chase even more. He is the perfect redeemable bad boy and one of my favorite book boyfriends. I loved being in his head as he struggled with his feelings for Harper and his desire to become a better man for her. I still find myself wishing for Chase's story to have a different ending, unfortunately you can't always get what you want...

No comments:

Post a Comment