11/09/2013

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

The Devil in the White City weaves together the story of the World's Fair that was held in Chicago in 1893 and the tale of a serial killer who used the Fair to lure in his victims. This is the second book that I have read by Erik Larson and I have to say that I really enjoy his writing style. Some people criticize this style of writing as sensationalism and question it's historical value. I, however, find it entertaining and engaging.

Let's face it. History can be boring. I think all of us can recall a high school history teacher who spent their time boring us to tears. We are always looking for ways to make history "come alive," and I think that Larson accomplishes this quite well. Yes, I do think that there is some sensationalism and I'm sure that Larson had to take some creative license. Nevertheless, his work is also meticulously researched. His citations are primary sources and he mentions in his notes that he does not use the internet to do research. The result is a book that reads more like a mystery novel than a dry historical narrative.

For all you history buffs out there, I recommend that you give Larson a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment