12/30/2020

Review: She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement by Jodi Kantor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I, like most everyone else, followed the breaking news about Harvey Weinstein when it broke and was horrified to learn about the extent of his misdeeds. This book chronicles the reporting done by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey that lead to that breaking news, as well as other stories about powerful men who were accused of similar crimes. It was an incredibly interesting narrative. I was struck with the level of complicity that allowed Weinstein to do what he did, which is what I think bothers me the most about this. How could so many people, who knew what he was doing was wrong, turn a blind eye and allow it to happen? And, even worse, allow it to keep happening by protecting Weinstein and taking away these women's right to tell their stories. The bravery of the women who finally came forward to expose this cannot be overlooked. Although I haven't seen much change in the way of legislation, I am hoping that as more of these stories are told, that we will see changes that protect the victims of these horrific crimes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment