12/08/2013

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (but can be read on its own) tells the story of Huck Finn, the lovable friend of Tom Sawyer. When his deadbeat father returns to town seeking Huck's fortune, Huck fakes his own death and set off up the Mississippi River. Along the way he meets up with Jim, a runaway slave, who he decides to help make it to freedom. Traveling up the Mississippi, Huck and Jim encounter many unexpected surprises and adventures.

I remember reading Huck Finn for the first time when I was in middle school and I loved it. It is a great American classic. Most people know Huck and his story even if they haven't read the book. Rereading it as an adult, I think that I am better able to appreciate the complexities of the story better. When I read it as a young teen, it was just an entertaining story. Now as an adult, I can appreciate Twain's use of satire, see the deeper connections to race, and see the literary artistry of Twain's writing. It's interesting to me that Twain originally intended this novel for adults and was dismayed when it became a hit with younger generations. I can understand this, as I certainly missed many of the things Twain set out to accomplish with Huck Finn as a youngster. I don't think as a young teenager I had the ability to truly appreciate the genius that is Mark Twain.

But even as an adult, I still very much enjoyed the story. I've always preferred Huck to Tom Sawyer. I find his practicality and rough edges endearing, because his heart is good. There are many reasons why Huck Finn is such an enduring classic, but for me it's the characters, the themes of friendship and loyalty, that bring me back to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment