4/30/2017

Review: Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I come from a Disney-fanatic family. We love all things Disney and frequent the theme parks often. We speak in Disney quotes and some of my fondest memories are centered around the brand. I can still remember going to see with my mom when I was a little girl and Belle has always been one of my favorite princesses. I'm not going to lie...I still have library envy every time I see the movie.

One thing I love about fairy tales is reading the original and comparing the stories to their "Disney-fied" versions. I have to admit that while reading this version, I missed some of my favorite characters. There is not Lumiere, Clocksworth, or Ms. Potts. Belle also has siblings and the conflict is simplified. There is no Gaston nor do the villagers attack Beast's castle. However, the heart of the story is there - looking past the physical to the heart and soul of a person and falling in love with that rather than outward appearances.

There is still a happy ending and the story is still a romance. And really, that's all I ask for out of my fairy tales.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment