4/30/2017

Review: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My students read this novel as part of our justice unit in Language Arts. I liked this book. It is incredibly well written and Taylor is a genuine storyteller. The narrative was descriptive without being verbose. The characters are well developed and accessible to students. The conflict is rich and provided many opportunities for discussion. My students particularly liked discussing the social structure between the African American community and the Caucasian community, as well as the differences within the African American community itself. They were able to make connections between this story and current events in the news, which generated a lot of thoughtful insights.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment