4/14/2017

Review: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Growing up, I loved the movie The Secret of NIMH. It was one of my favorites, up there with The Land Before Time and FernGully, but I never knew it was a book. I recently began preparing for our annual Battle of the Books competition and was pleasantly surprised to see Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH on the list of books.

Reading this book was like stepping back into my childhood for the briefest of moments. The story was just as I remembered, although there are some differences in plot between the movie and the novel, but the characters I loved were still there. As an adult, I was more aware of the darker undertones of the story, relating to the animal research and experimentation, but it was still mixed in with the humor and adventure I remembered from the film. I am probably biased towards this story, as many of us are about stories we encounter in our childhoods, but I still loved it. I look forward to sharing it with my children someday.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment