1/27/2018

Review: The Alienist

The Alienist The Alienist by Caleb Carr
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I first read The Alienist in high school as part of a project where we had to “diagnosis” the killer. I loved it then and I loved it just as much when I re-read it recently. I took it off the bookshelf (yes, I still own my copy from high school) to re-read it after TNT announced that it was going be adapting the book into a mini-series.

This novel is set in New York City in 1896, which adds a wonderful dark element to the narrative. This was the height of the crime bosses and government corruption and when psychology as a science was in its infancy. As a history lover, the setting of this story adds an additional element to love. I get to read a novel where Teddy Roosevelt is the police chief? Yes, please! New York City, one of my favorite places on Earth, is as much a character in this novel as Moore or Kreizler. It make the history nerd in me super happy.

On top of that, the narrative grabs you from page one and takes you on a journey into the mind of a seriously disturbed killer. The story is full of suspense and Carr’s writing makes you feel like a part of Kreizler’s team as they race against the clock to catch a killer. It is a truly entertaining narrative and is one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment