1/27/2018

Review: A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story

A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was another school read for me. It was chosen as one of the choice books for our social justice unit and it’s one of the few choices that I haven’t read yet, so I decided that I would read it this year. The story is told through two parallel stories - one of a girl set in 2008, who walks to get water every day and the other of a boy set in 1985, who is forced to flee his home when rebels attack. The stories seem to be divergent but come together in the end with a twist. The stories are sad and, in many ways, heartbreaking. My students responded really well to the novel and it generated a lot of great discussions. Many even felt inspired to help and the book has an addendum about a school that helped to put in a well in a village.

What I liked about the novel is that it accessible to a lot of students. The reading level isn’t difficult and the structure of the novel keeps the reader engaged and interested. Having students read stories like A Long Walk to Water is important because it expands their worldview, as the experiences of Nya and Salva are so vastly different from many of their own. What I also like, is that it is more than just a sad story. It also gives students a concrete way to help and make a difference. Our 7th-graders have also responded very well to the novel so I think it’s been a good addition to our unit.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment