1/27/2018

Review: Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House

Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House by Donna Brazile
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was horrified by the 2016 presidential election for many reasons. I was upset by the discourse, the choice of candidates, the lack of civility and the polarization of our two-party system. When it was reported that the DNC had been hacked by the Russians, that added a whole new dimension to the election. A hostile foreign nation made a concerted effort to influence our fair and free election, the hallmark of our democracy. Politics is a dirty game, probably dirtier than we would all like to admit.

While I consider myself an independent, I do tend to lean Democratic. However, like the Republicans, I think the Democrats have also forgotten who they are and what the core values of their party are. I read this book to get Brazile’s side of the story. I knew going into the book that it would be a biased account and that it was her opportunity to address some of the criticism hurled at her during the campaign. But I didn’t disagree with a lot of her ideas. She stressed the need for both parties to take a step back and reevaluate who they are and what they really stand for. I agree with her that the Democratic party needs to get back to and embrace the grassroots movements that are happening all over the country and work to embrace the base, as well as to grow it. I also agree with her point that the government needs to do more to prevent foreign enemies from interfering in our elections.

I don’t think this book will change anyone’s opinion about Brazile and the DNC’s handling of the 2016 presidential election, although I do not feel that the full blame rests on her shoulders. It certainly offers a window into what happened behind closed doors and to the many mistakes that led to the Democrat’s defeat in the election. The DNC has a lot of soul-searching and rebuilding to do.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment