4/04/2015

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

After inheriting her uncle's homesteading claim in Montana 16 year-old orphan Hattie Brooks travels from Iowa in 1917 to make a home for herself and encounters some unexpected problems related to the war being fought in Europe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I liked this story. It was clear that the author had done her research, and I think she captured what life was like for a homesteader pretty accurately. I liked Hattie as a character. She was strong, determined, kind, and had a mind of her own, which I appreciated. The theme of home and what it means is strong throughout the story, and is universal enough that I think it will appeal to a wide range of readers. There is a sequel to this book, but I can't say that this book had enough of a lasting impression on me that I will seek it out. Overall, I think this is a well written story that many will enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment