4/19/2015

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to admit that I am not really a graphic novel person. I have read a few, and while I don't dislike them per say, it is not a genre that I seek out often. This graphic novel was quite enjoyable, however. It had me laughing out loud, especially the stories about her neurotic dogs that reminded me of my own, and a particularly humorous story involving a rouge duck. There are also some serious stories in there dealing with identity and depression. The illustrations are not high art, but they were an essential part of the stories. I'm not sure that I would have found some of the stories as humorous without the accompanying pictures.

This is an overall enjoyable read, even if you are not a graphic novel fan. Just be careful about reading it in pubic. You will laugh out loud.

2015 Reading Challenge: A graphic novel

No comments:

Post a Comment