12/13/2016

Review: Beautiful Ruins

Beautiful Ruins Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I love old Hollywood movies and the glamorous actors and actress, like Elizabeth Taylor, that starred in them. So, I especially loved that they were the backdrop for a lot of this novel. I liked the "behind the scenes" approach to telling the story. I also liked that this story had many moving pieces. It was interesting to have different perspectives and see how the lives of so many characters intersected and overlapped. Jess Walters really did a masterful job of weaving them all together in a way that didn't feel contrived or predictable. He even managed to work in a few surprises!

I found the narrative to be funny, heartfelt, engaging, and well written. I would give it 3.5 stars.

2016 Reading Challenge: A book set in Europe

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment