12/01/2016

Review: Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an interesting one for me. Marquez's prose is beautifully descriptive, yet not pretentious or complicated to understand. The novel has a very laid back, casual tone. The plot is simple - boy meets girl, girl marries someone else, boy waits for girl for 50 years, and the couple reunites. But it's not the story that makes this novel special, it's Marquez's writing style. The plot is almost secondary to his crafting of words that make it up.

However, it's supposed to be a romance and I did not find it very romantic. I wasn't able to really emotionally connect to the characters and the overall story lacked the passionate fire I look for in a good romance. At times, I found the plot ridiculous and almost comical (maybe that was the point?). This wasn't one of my favorites. Perhaps something was lost in translation?

2016 Reading Challenge: A book from Oprah's Book Club

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment